Adding a stair lift to a home can be life changing for someone experiencing mobility issues, giving them greater independence and allowing them to age-in-place safely. If you're considering purchasing a stair lift, you may have a number of questions about stair lift installation. You're in the right place!
In this article, we'll answer all of the most frequently asked questions about installing a stair lift. We'll cover everything from how to select the best stair lift for your home, how the installation process works, how much stair lift installation costs, and everything in between.
What Is a Stair Lift & Who Can Benefit?
A stair lift, often referred to as a chair lift, is a mechanical device designed to transport individuals up and down stairs. It consists of a motorized chair or platform that moves along a track, making multi-story homes accessible to individuals with mobility challenges, including the elderly and those with disabilities.
How Is a Stair Lift Installed?
Chair lift installation involves several key steps. Let's walk through each one so you will know what to expect.
- Evaluation: Each company should offer a technician to assess and evaluation your home's layout to determine the best location for the chair lift and the unique needs of your loved one. The evaluation should take the following into consideration:
- Height and weight of the user
- Any conditions the user may have (e.g., arthritis, limited range of motion, etc.) that could increase the need for power stair lift features
- Type of staircase (i.e., indoor, outdoor, straight, curved, etc.)
- Length and width of staircase
- Number of steps and landings
- Depth of stair treads
- Dimension of landings
- Availability of power supply
- Track Installation: The track, which guides the chair or platform, is installed along the staircase. The track is usually secured to the stair steps rather than the wall to prevent damaging your walls.
- Chair/Platform Installation: The chair or platform, which carries you or your loved one, is then mounted onto the track.
- Wiring and Power Supply: The chair lift is connected to a power source, usually an electrical outlet. Wiring is concealed for safety and aesthetics. There may be a battery attached as well. Having access to emergency power is an important discussion point with the technician and your home’s ability to support the need in an emergency.
- Testing and Adjustments: The lift is thoroughly tested, and adjustments are made to ensure smooth and safe operation.
- User Training: Your loved one (and you!) should receive training on how to operate the stair lift safely.
Can Stair Lifts Be Installed On Curved or Narrow Staircases?
Yes, stair lifts can be customized to fit curved, narrow, or unusually shaped staircases. Manufacturers offer various options, including curved rail systems and space saving foldable chairs, to accommodate different home layouts.
How Long Does It Take To Install A Stair Lift?
The installation process can vary depending on factors like the complexity of the staircase, the type of lift, and other individual circumstances. On average, it takes about four hours to install a stair lift.
What Do I Need to Do to Prepare My Home Before a Stair Lift Can Be Installed?
As long as a thorough evaluation of your home has been completed in advance, there is very little that you will need to do to prepare for installation day beyond removing any temporary obstructions from the stairs and landings so the technicians have space to work.
Do Stair Lifts Require Maintenance After Installation?
Yes. Regular maintenance is essential to keep your stair lift in good working order. Many stair lift installers offer service plans to ensure that your lift remains safe and reliable.
How Much Does Stair Lift Installation Cost?
The cost of stair lift installation varies depending on a number of factors including the make and model of the stair lift selected, length and location of the stairs, necessary customizations (e.g., folding rail for small landings), and any other home owner requested upgrades.
While stair lifts can represent a significant investment, many individuals find them well worth the expense for the increased accessibility and independence they provide. Start by reviewing the Best Stair Lift Companies.
How Can I Find Stair Lift Installation Near Me?
Finding the best stair lift and stair lift installer in your local area can be a bit of a challenge. Fortunately, you can simplify the process by completing our Request a Free Stair Lift Quote form. We promise it will only take a few moments of your time. And in return, you'll save yourself hours of research and receive a free, no-obligation quote from a stair lift installer in your area.
Installing a stair lift can greatly improve the quality of life for you or your loved one. It's essential to work with reputable companies and professionals to ensure a safe and effective installation. By addressing these common FAQs, you'll be better prepared to make an informed decision about installing a stair lift in your home.